You’re ready to have a rock hard body (or at least lose those few extra pounds), get rid of a bad habit or two, and finally write that award winning novel. You’ve got your list of New Year’s Resolutions and you are ready to conquer the world. But wait, aren’t you forgetting something? Why not add achieve amazing, perfect skin to the list? Consider these 10 resolution ideas to help you get the skin you want.
- Wear sunscreen every day with at least SPF 30 rating. Also avoid spray sunscreens. You may think because you don’t have an outside job or go tanning regularly, that you are ok without the sunscreen. The truth is that you are still exposed to UV rays throughout the day. Even sitting next to a window at work or home can be too much sun, making a daily sunscreen habit a good idea.
- Get an annual screening. You see your dentist every six months and your family doctor annually to keep up on your regular health maintenance. Seeing your dermatologist each year is another way to stay healthy since skin cancer caught early is very treatable.
- Take off your makeup every day. We’ve all been there, you get to the end of another long day and it is so tempting to just fall into bed without taking the time to wash your face. Of course, leaving makeup on your face overnight can cause breakouts; not pretty! For those nights that you just can’t make it to the bathroom sink for a wash, it’s a good idea to keep some makeup removing face wipes in the nightstand so you can do a quick swipe before nodding off.
- Take better care of your hands. Our hands are always in the line of fire. You wash your hands several times a day, they are exposed to sun and wind more than any other part of our bodies, and they take a beating in so many other ways. The skin on your hands is thinner and has less fat underneath it. All these things combine to make your hands appear to age faster than any other part of your body. Give your hands a little love with a nice hand cream at night and some sunscreen each day to keep them looking youthful.
- Clean makeup brushes often. You use your makeup brushes to cover up blemishes, but did you know that your brushes could be the cause of those blemishes? Oil and bacteria from your face can build up on your makeup brushes, transferring germs to your face and clogging your pores. Washing your brushes weekly will help your complexion.
- Start an anti-aging regimen. The earlier you start to fight the signs of aging, the more successful you will be.
- Moisturize your face and body after showering. This will prevent dehydration of the skin, which will help the appearance of fine lines. It will make your skin look more healthy and plump. It will also help to prevent skin rashes that can arise from dry skin.
- No picking at your skin. It can be so tempting to pick at a blemish, but doing so will only make the situation worse. Picking introduces more bacteria into the area and can also cause scarring.
- Get 8 hours of sleep at night. Getting your beauty sleep is not just a saying, it turns out getting enough shuteye really does make your skin more beautiful. Sleep is when your body restores itself, and if you aren’t getting enough you could be left with dark circles under your eyes and dull, lifeless skin. You already knew sleep was good for you, now you have another reason to make it a priority!
- Drink more water. If you have dry skin, it could be because you are dehydrated. Make sure you are getting enough H2O throughout the day to give your whole body the moisture it needs. Water is also what your body uses to clean itself out, including cleaning the skin and preventing pimples.
You may get sick of the treadmill and may be only a couple of pages into your novel a month from now, but taking great care of your skin is a resolution you can keep. Why not glow this year?